What is Breast Augmentation?
Clinically referred to as augmentation mammaplasty, breast augmentation is a procedure where one or both of the breasts are enlarged for the purpose of increasing fullness or improving symmetry. Breast augmentation can involve saline or silicone breast implants, which are surgically placed behind your breasts, fat that is transferred from elsewhere in your body, or a combination of the two. Breast augmentation is one of Toronto’s most popular procedures in addition to being one of the most common cosmetic procedures performed around the world.
What are My Breast Augmentation Options?
Once it’s been determined that you are a candidate for breast augmentation, you will need to decide which type of breast implant you would like to have. Dr. Mathew Plant is one of the very few plastic surgeons in Toronto that offers all options for breast augmentation (including Allergan, Mentor, and IDEAL® implants). The most common choices for breast augmentation are:
- Silicone implants, which tend to feel the softest and most natural of the three options. Modern generation silicone implants, which include the well known “gummy bear” implant, have a cohesive gel which sticks together even if the shell is damaged. Because silicone implants are prefilled to specific volumes, they may require longer incisions for larger implants.
- Saline implants feel less natural in comparison to silicones but allow for smaller incisions because they are inserted into the breast empty and then filled with the same saline solution used for an IV. Some patients still prefer saline because in the event the shell is damaged the body would safely absorb the saline solution.
- The IDEAL IMPLANT® – The IDEAL IMPLANT is a structured implant that consists of multiple inner and outer shells and uses only saline to fill the implant. This implant feels more natural than a traditional saline implant because the inner shells control the movement of the saline.
- Fat Transfer using your own fat can add volume to your breasts without adding an implant at all. Using liposuction, Dr. Plant can harvest fat from areas you don’t want it, like the abdomen, love handles or inner thighs, and transferred to the breasts. Because a round implant is not used, the shape of the breasts remains natural, but the size can be increased by up to one cup with each round of fat transfer. Multiple rounds can be done over time to achieve desired results. Because the fat is your own living tissue, the results are permanent and require no maintenance over time.
- Hybrid Breast Augmentation uses a combination of a smaller breast implant with fat transfer. This is a great technique for women with mild asymmetries or who want a small increase in size but want the volume targeted to specific areas in her breast.
How Big is the Scar From Breast Augmentation Surgery and Where Will it Be?
Dr. Plant will speak to you at your consultation about which scar placement will be best for you, but he uses all options to ensure he can always deliver results that are customized to each patient’s body and goals. Incisions can be in the Breast Fold (Inframammary Crease), around the Nipple (Periareolar) or within the armpit (Transaxillary). His incisions are amongst the smallest used by any surgeon in the area and can be as short as 4 cm. He uses the most up-to-date suture technology, including antibiotic embedded sutures to minimize inflammation and give the best possible scar.
Am I the Right Candidate for Breast Augmentation?
If you are a healthy woman who is not satisfied with the shape or size of your breasts, you may be the right candidate for Breast Augmentation surgery in Toronto. If you are tired of using padded bras because your breasts just never reached the size you’d hoped they would; if you have trouble finding a bra because your breasts are different sizes; or feel they’ve been left deflated after pregnancy, breastfeeding or weight loss, then this may be the procedure for you.
If you find that your breasts are sagging and also need volume then a combined augmentation-lift procedure may be a better choice. If you are happy with the size of your breasts, but want a more perky appearance then you may only need a lift. The only way to know which procedure is best to get the results you want is to book a consultation with Dr. Plant so he can examine you and answer all your questions.
Scheduling a Breast Augmentation Consultation in Toronto
If you are considering breast augmentation surgery, you should book a consult with Dr. Plant at his Toronto office so he can personally go over the different options available to get the results you desire, while also answering any questions you may have about your breast augmentation surgery. His office is conveniently located in central Toronto near both the 401 and the Don Valley Parkway which has allowed him to serve breast augmentation patients from the entire greater Toronto area, including Scarborough, Mississauga, Vaughan and Markham. He also sees patients from all over Canada who travel into Toronto specifically for his expertise and natural results.
Dr. Plant is a Royal College Certified Plastic Surgeon who is widely known for actively listening to what his patients are looking for and delivering those results through his meticulous surgical technique. He is an expert not only in primary breast augmentation, but also in revision breast augmentation. This means that not only does he achieve beautiful, natural results for patients coming for their first breast surgery, but he is also one of only a handful of surgeons willing and able to correct problems from Breast Augmentation surgeries performed elsewhere. Contact us today to schedule your breast augmentation consultation with board certified plastic surgeon Dr. Mathew Plant.