What Is A Mommy Makeover?
A Mommy Makeover is a catch-all term for a combination of cosmetic surgeries that is done to reverse the dramatic body changes that can result from pregnancy, delivery, and breastfeeding. While becoming a mother can be one of the most rewarding experiences, it can be very hard on the body. It is very common for women who have had children to have excess skin and fat on the abdomen, separation of the abdominal muscles, sagging and deflation of the breasts and butt, and many other body changes. While diet and exercise can improve some of these changes, nothing short of surgical repair can correct stretched or torn fascia, rejoin separated muscles or remove excess skin. Dr. Plant uses a variety of cosmetic procedures to restore your pre-pregnancy shape and in many cases, improve upon it. Rather than having each of these procedures done separately, a Mommy Makeover combines them all into one surgical procedure allowing for a single recovery period.
What Are My Mommy Makeover Options?
Depending on exactly what changes occurred to your body from pregnancy, delivery, and breastfeeding, there are multiple procedures that Dr. Plant can combine to give you the body you want.
The most common procedures combined into a Mommy Makeover are:
- Tummy Tuck (Abdominoplasty): Carrying the fetus and the extra weight needed to support it can result in excess skin and stretch marks on the abdomen as well as separation of the abdominal muscles. This is a cosmetic surgery in which Dr. Plant removes excess skin and fat from the abdomen and tightens the abdominal muscles to give a firm, smooth abdomen and a narrow, defined waist. A tummy tuck can also remove unwanted caesarian section scars and correct the “pooch” that can hang over a c-section scar and keep you looking pregnant even though you had your baby months ago.
- Breast Restoration: Weight gain from pregnancy and engorgement from milk, whether a woman breastfeeds or not, can stretch the breast skin and result in sagging and deflation of the breasts. There are several options to restore the pre-pregnancy shape, size, and position including a breast lift, breast augmentation, or a combination of the two.
- Breast Lift: This is a procedure where Dr. Plant elevates and rearranges the existing breast tissue to bring the breast higher up on the chest and remove the excess skin. This is a great option for women who have developed sagging breasts but are happy with the volume.
- Breast Augmentation: This procedure involves the placement of a silicone or saline implant behind the breast tissue to restore lost volume in women who feel their breasts have deflated, but aren’t necessarily sagging.
- Breast Augmentation with Lift: In a combination breast-augmentation lift procedure Dr. Plant will both lift the breast to correct sagging and add an implant to restore lost volume.
- Liposuction: Using a small cannula through a 5mm opening, Dr. Plant can suction out excess fat in areas that are resistant to diet and exercise.
- Vaginal Rejuvenation/Labiaplasty/Perineoplasty: Following a vaginal birth it is not uncommon for a woman to develop lengthening of the inner labia (labia minora) and stretching of the vaginal opening. This can cause discomfort, dryness and loss of sexual pleasure. Dr. Plant can correct lengthened labia minora with a labiaplasty procedure and/or tighten the vaginal opening using a perineoplasty to improve the appearance and increase your sexual pleasure.
- Brazilian Butt Lift: The rapid weight gain and weight loss associated with pregnancy and delivery can often lead to deflated and sagging buttocks. Dr. Plant can take the fat from in the body, usually the abdomen or inner thighs, and transfer it to the butt to give back the perky, full butt you used to have (or never had but always wanted).
What Are The Scars From Mommy Makeover Surgery Like?
Because a Mommy Makeover is so highly customized, the scars will also be very specific to each patient. Dr. Plant will talk to you at your consultation about exactly what scars would be involved with the specific procedures needed to get you the outcome you desire. To get a better understanding of what the scars might look like, please see our individual procedure pages for Tummy Tuck, Breast Lift, Breast Augmentation, Breast Lift with Augmentation, Brazilian Butt Lift and Vaginal Rejuvenation.
Am I The Right Candidate For Mommy Makeover?
If you are a healthy patient who is unhappy with the appearance of your body after having children, then a Mommy Makeover may be a great option for you. The best candidates for a Mommy Makeover are women who:
- Have specific body issues that have not responded favorably to diet and exercise
- Have completed breast‐feeding for at least 6 months
- Are not planning any future pregnancies
Scheduling A Mommy Makeover Consultation In Toronto
If you are considering Mommy Makeover Surgery in Toronto, you should book a consultation with Dr. Plant so he can personally go over the different options available to get the results you desire. He will also answer any questions you may have about your mommy makeover surgery. His office is conveniently located in central Toronto near both the 401 and the Don Valley Parkway, which has allowed him to serve abdominoplasty patients from the entire greater Toronto area, including Scarborough, Mississauga, Vaughan and Markham. He also sees patients from all over Canada who travel into Toronto specifically for his expertise and natural results.
Dr. Plant is a Royal College Certified Plastic Surgeon renowned for actively listening to what his patients are looking for and delivering those results through his meticulous surgical techniques. He is widely known for having short scars that are hidden in almost any outfit, including bathing suits, leaving patients excited to show off their new figures at work, the mall, school pickup/dropoff and especially on the beach. Contact us today to schedule your mommy makeover consultation with board certified plastic surgeon Dr. Mathew Plant.